Everyone loves tea and cake right?! I know I definitely do, in fact it’s probably a little obsession of mine which doesn’t do too well for the waist line. So when the opportunity arose to raise awareness for the charity Marie Curie who are currently running their new campaign ‘The Blooming Great Tea Party’ obviously I said yes!
If you’ve never heard of the Marie Curie before then they care for people who are living with terminal illness and their families, the nurses and other professionals at Marie Curie offer expert care, guidance and support allowing them get the most from their time they have left.
As mentioned above the Marie Curie charity are currently raising funds with their current campaign ‘The Blooming Great Tea Party’, with your help by hosting your own tea party whether it be at home, work or in the community it can raise money to keep providing the outstanding care to those in need. When a tea party comes to mind straight away I think mini sandwiches, Victoria sponge and scones, so below is a recipe for a classic Victoria sponge to give you a helping hand for your own tea party.
Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe
300g Self Rising Flour
300g Caster Sugar
300g Unsalted Butter (softened)
4 Large Eggs
Splash of milk
Icing Sugar For Dusting
250ml Extra Double Cream
- Preheat your oven on 190C/Gas mark 5.
- Place your softened butter and caster sugar into a bowl and beat until a pale creamy consistency.
- Gradually add eggs in one at a time, beating them.
- Fold in your flour and mix well.
- Divide the mix into three tins, or two if you wish. Place into your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Check that the mixture is fully cooked, you can do this by popping a knife into the centre, if no mixture is on the knife then it’s ready, if not pop it in for 5-10 more minutes.
- Take out of the oven and allow to fully cool before assembly.
- Spread your choice of jam over the cake and top with your whipped cream.
- Sandwich your cakes together, if you wish place fruit on top and dust with icing.
What are you waiting for? Eat your body weight in cake and raise some money for a good cause! You can grab your fund raising pack over at Marie Curie’s website. Good luck fund raising!